Back Pain Treatment: What Are The Options?
Back pain is one of the most common types of pain that we encounter at Capitol Health & Injury Center in Saint Paul, MN. Back pain can be caused by arthritis, skeletal irregularities, ligament and muscle strain, osteoporosis, and ruptured discs. In most cases, back pain improves within a few weeks or months, especially if the right treatment is used.
There are several different ways to treat back pain, below are some options to consider.
- Pain medications. The most typical solution is pain medications that are used for treating back pain. This includes narcotic drugs, acetaminophen, oral steroids, antidepressants, and NSAIDs (these are generally over the counter). Since each medication has its limitations, risks, and side effects, it is recommended to talk to your doctor first.
- Therapeutic massage. This type of back pain treatment can reduce muscle stiffness, improve blood flow, and reduce the inflammation. This treatment is also often used for better and faster rehabilitation after a back injury.
- Exercises. There are certain physical therapy options and back exercise programs that include a combination of stretching, strengthening, and low-impact aerobic exercises for the back.
- Spinal decompression therapy. There are two forms of this therapy - surgical and non-surgical. Non-surgical decompression therapy is a type of motorized traction, the purpose of which is to relieve back pain. Surgical decompression therapy is a last resort used mostly for back issues such as ruptured discs, bone growth, and other medical issues.
- Injections. These are shots consisting of numbing medicine and steroids that are used for reducing inflammation.
- Laminectomy. It is one of the most common back surgeries during which either a part or all of the vertebral bones are removed. The purpose of this surgery is to reduce pressure on the spinal cord.
How a Chiropractor Can Help
Chiropractic care that includes spinal manipulation has proven to be quite effective in treating back pain and many other conditions. Multiple chiropractic techniques can be used to improve your general spinal function. In most cases, it is recommended to try chiropractic treatment before considering more extreme measures such as surgery or injections. When needed, we also co-manage cases with other providers when it is in the best interest of our patients.
Often, a chiropractor will use manual manipulation as his or her primary tool to relieve back pain. However, other methods can be used, as well as a combination of chiropractic care and physical therapy.
Your Chiropractor in Saint Paul, MN
If you live in or around Saint Paul, MN, and you’ve been struggling with back pain, Capitol Health & Injury Center is here to help. Call Dr. Jeremy Hurkman today at (651) 771-2012 to schedule an appointment.